Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has vowed to push Israel for a full and independent investigation into the death of Australian humanitarian worker Zomi Frankcom, after the Israeli military declared there was no criminal misconduct involved in the strike that killed her during an aid convoy operation in Gaza in April 2024.

Frankcom was killed alongside colleagues while delivering food and essential supplies to civilians in the Gaza Strip. Her death drew widespread international condemnation and has remained a source of deep tension between Australia and Israel. It is one of the most prominent cases to emerge from the broader international reactions to the Gaza war, which have continued to shape diplomatic relationships around the world.

Albanese Rejects Israeli Findings as Insufficient

Speaking publicly following the Israeli military's announcement on Thursday, Albanese was unsparing in his criticism, dismissing the findings as a "so-called" and "nothing to see here" report. The Prime Minister said Australia was owed far more than what had been offered.

"Australia deserves better," Albanese said. "There's a need for a far more transparent and clear explanation from the Israeli government."

Albanese confirmed he would work directly with Frankcom's family before making any formal announcement about next steps, saying they deserved to be consulted on how Australia would proceed.

"We will press the Israeli government. The direction, we have said today, we'll discuss with Ms Frankcom's family," he said, adding that an announcement was expected within days.

Israel has also declined to release audio recordings from the drone strikes that targeted the aid convoy, further fuelling criticism that the process has lacked transparency.

Family Calls It a Miscarriage of Justice

Frankcom's family responded to the Israeli findings with a forceful statement, describing the outcome as a miscarriage of justice and an insult to her memory and legacy.

"Zomi and her colleagues deserve more than an internal, opaque process that ends with a short statement by the Israeli military absolving their soldiers of criminal wrongdoing," the family said.

The Israeli government has so far declined to apologise for the attack, despite an earlier finding that there had been failures in how the strike was carried out. Israel's decision to clear itself of criminal responsibility over the strike has drawn fierce criticism both in Australia and internationally.

Foreign Affairs Minister Summons Israeli Ambassador

Earlier on Thursday, Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong summoned Israeli ambassador Hillel Newman to Parliament House to explain the outcome of the two-year investigation. Senator Wong condemned Israel's conduct as falling well short of the level of accountability Australia expected.

"(I) have directed Australia's ambassador to Israel to convey our views directly to Israel as the Australian government considers next steps," Senator Wong told reporters following the meeting.

Senator Wong also maintained that preserving diplomatic ties with Israel remained important for Australia's broader foreign policy interests, even as she acknowledged the findings were deeply inadequate.

Calls Grow for Sanctions and Ambassador's Expulsion

Throughout the day, pressure mounted from multiple quarters for stronger action. Calls emerged for Ambassador Newman to be expelled from Australia given Israel's refusal to apologise.

Pro-Palestine advocates, Greens Senator Mehreen Faruqi, and the Jewish Council of Australia all demanded that sanctions be placed on Israel in response to the findings.

Jewish Council executive director Sarah Schwartz questioned whether a diplomatic rebuke alone was a sufficient response. "Penny Wong says this decision falls short of the accountability we expect. She's right. So why is the response to a complete failure of accountability just a stern word to the ambassador?" Schwartz said in a statement.

Australia's outrage over Israel's handling of the case has been building since the attack. Australia's reaction to Israel's refusal to pursue a criminal investigation has already prompted significant diplomatic fallout, and Thursday's findings appear set to intensify that pressure further.